Following the lead of our superior bodies, Cycling NSW and Cycling Australia, the Illawarra Cycle Club has cancelled sanctioning for all cycling events. The decision includes sanctioning for all club races, state open races, velodrome activities and sanctioned recreational rides. Further, in this environment we no longer recommend group riding as a safe and responsible activity. ICC advises all bicycle riders to switch exclusively to solo riding.
With respect to non-sanctioned training rides, the club offers the following advice.
- We have an opportunity to respect community concerns and set a positive example as responsible citizens. Specific tips for riding as this time are as follows:
- Riding solo, or with people from the same household, is acceptable
- Avoid stopping during your ride (whilst obeying traffic rules) and be mindful of where you place your helmet, glasses, gloves etc. Keep them with your bike or on your person rather than placing them down somewhere
- When you return from a ride, wash your hands thoroughly and wipe down your bike, helmet and any gear
- Keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres from any other person you see while out on your bike
- Ensure you are self-sufficient in the case of mechanical failure
Riding in bunches is not encouraged for the immediate future.
This is an ever-changing situation and we will update our guidance in line with the advice we receive. For more reading try the following:
Cycling NSW: https://cycling.org.au/nsw/going-solo-covid19
Cycling Australia: https://cycling.org.au/nat/covid19